So. In cleaning my hard-drive to free-up space (and also to prevent the accidental and unwanted loss of stuff that could possibly occur during a diagnostics scan and issues-repair), I transferred moo-goo gobs of stuff to a disc. Computer actually ran better, and the disc worked perfectly fine for all of one week before shitting itself.
Long story short: disc shit itself. Disc would not work. Prevention of accidental and unwanted loss complete fail.
Among the things lost were several newly revised chapters for a fanfic, as well as other ephemeral stuff pertaining to projects I had intended to post. Demoralization was complete, and I decided to take a break and concentrate on the temp job I had managed to land over the summer.
Job is over, now I have a little more time and energy to go back to researching and re-revising. Posting will happen again. Eventually.